In our ‘How To’ series, we’re taking a classic dish from around the world and showing you how to make it like a true local. And don’t worry, we’re looking at minimum difficulty, maximum impress-your-guest-points.
Week One – Spumoni
Spumoni: A classic Italian dessert which is guaranteed to go down well on a nice summer evening. The idea is that you eat this ice-cream loaf in slices so you get three flavours in one slice. Over time, people have come up with loads of different spumoni variations but traditionally, it is made with chocolate, pistachio and cherry ice cream. That’s the way we’re doing it today.
What you’ll need…
- A loaf tin
- Chocolate ice cream
- Pistachio ice cream
- Cherry ice cream
- Some cherries
- Chopped nuts
Here’s how you do it…
- Take the loaf tin and spread softened chocolate ice cream onto the bottom – fill a third of the tin.
- Cover it with cling film and pop it in the freezer for about half an hour or until it is firm.
- Remove the cling film and fill the next third with softened pistachio ice cream, spreading it directly on top of the chocolate ice cream.
- Again, cover and leave in the freezer until the pistachio layer is firm.
- Lastly, spread the cherry ice cream on top of the other two flavours, filling the remaining third of the tin.
- Cover and freeze as before.
- To remove the ice cream, place the tin in hot water, being careful that no water gets into the inside of the tin, run a knife along the outside edges of the ice cream loaf.
- Quickly invert the loaf onto a chilled plate so the chocolate layer becomes the top layer, place some cherries on the top and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Tuck in!
It should look a little something like this…
Because on Fridays, we should all have ice cream cake 🍦 This gorgeous slice courtesy @pavscreamery 😍😍😍 #icecream #spumoni #summer #dessert #color #flashesofdelight #pursuepretty #foodphotography #foodstyling #feedfeed #f52grams #foodporn #foodpics #nomnomnom #instayum #akron #ohioblogger #ohioicecream #melty #chocolate #fruit #nut #italiandessert