The New Zealand All Blacks are the most consistent international sports team in the world. They have topped the IRB rugby rankings continuously since 2006, they boast a staggering 91% win ratio in that time and they also do the Haka.
But what about the rest of New Zealand? How about some non-rugby related pub trivia to keep things interesting?
Here you go then…
1. NZ is home to more species of penguins than any other country.
2. Kiwifruit were originally called Chinese gooseberries.
3. There are more vending machines in Japan than there are people in New Zealand (it’s no wonder Japan beat South Africa!)
4. Moa birds were native to NZ, but are now extinct. They were 12 feet tall and weighed about 230kg.
Everyone knows that the Lord of the Rings was filmed in New Zealand but did you know…
5. The New Zealand government created a Minister for Lord of the Rings, to ensure the most money could be made from the films.
6. NZ is the only country in the world officially allowed to have Hobbits on their national currency.
7. A man in New Zealand has put $130,000 on the All Blacks to lose their trophy. He will make $71,500 if they do. No team has ever won consecutive tournaments.
Words by WeSwap, the clever new way to get travel money that’s up to 10 times cheaper than banks, bureaux or airports. Sign up free today.